Monday, February 21, 2011

Intoxicated

So I've said years 2006 and 2011 are my best UPLB FebFair because I was both intoxicated -- the first one with love, the latter with alcohol. :-P

Earlier this month, I felt that my chances of maximizing the Fair were slim compared with the past years. I long to bring Lorenz to the UPLB FebFair but since the event isn't really conducive for a toddler, my wife and I agreed that this isn't the right time. Plus her schedule wouldn't permit her to go.

Personally, I felt that I should go and spend a few hours at the Fair. So I told her I'd be spending Thursday night (Feb. 18) at the Fair with office friends. In eLBi, Thursday night is usually gimik night. But the fair wasn't bustling yet when we got there. There were six of us -- and prior to the intoxication, we first enjoyed a ride at the caterpillar and ferris wheel.

Photo by: Edwin Cortes
We had chicken barbeque for dinner and thereafter, the drinking started. Believe me, I sure didn't plan to get drunk that night. If I did, I would've brought extra clothes.

But the shots kept coming -- one after the other. And I just drank. I was looking at the time thinking that I should get going. But we were having a great conversation (although now that I think about it, I could barely recall what we were talking about). I can feel the alcohol starting to take its toll on me. I shrugged it off. Another bottle was opened. More stories. I'm feeling a bit tipsy. I told myself I can still go home.

We've already consumed two bottles. They wanted to buy another. So off they went while I busied myself chatting with orgmates who were in a nearby booth. I was way past tipsy by this time. Crap.

Third bottle was opened. I joined the session -- this time engaging in full English conversations. Not a good sign, eh? I didn't know if we finished that third bottle. Mostly, what I remembered was that I was laughing, babbling, and staggering from Freedom Park to the office building. See picture below. This was not my proudest moment.

Photo by: Joel Cardenas (I think.)
I don't want to divulge the most gory details of that night. Or what became of me after we left the Fair. But I can tell you that the next day, I was still a wreck. I'm just thankful I have really great friends who did not leave me when I was down (literally). The jeepney ride from eLBi to Calamba felt like hours in purgatory. I was (barely) able to get home. When I finally did, I spent most of the time semi-sleeping whilst trying to get rid of all the alcohol in my system.

Again, I'm not proud of what I did. But I'm not ashamed either (okay, maybe a little). Sometimes, we have to lose ourselves in the moment -- even just for a little while. Everybody needs a break. This night was mine. I didn't plan it but I think, deep down, I wanted it to happen. True, this night wouldn't be on the list of nights that I would want my son to relive. But someday, I know he might have his fair share of crazy nights too. And I will tell him that it's okay -- as long as he does not forget to snap back to reality.

By the way, did I mention that drinking at the FebFair was prohibited? So sue me. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment