Monday, March 30, 2015

Of airport lounge, plane, and hotel room

Dear kids,

Earlier, I left the house with just enough time to get myself to the airport assuming all variables were normal. Then again, almost all variables weren’t in their normal form today. I have miscalculated the fact that it is a Monday and it’s the Holy Week which means many people are taking vacations. I also encountered traffic at the expressway because of a vehicular accident.

Upon arriving at the airport, queues at the check-in counter and immigration were insanely long. I honestly thought I wouldn’t make it but I did. In fact, I’m sitting in the plane as I type this. I think it was some good manners and a bit of luck which got me here. But you know what would have surely gotten me to my flight? Promptness and preparedness. So as I sit here, possibly 33,000 feet above ground, let me share some lessons I learned earlier.

On promptness. I’ve had my fair share of running around the airport because I might miss the plane. It happens to the best of people. Some things are beyond our control. But it is ALWAYS better to be prompt. This means providing more leeway if you have a flight to catch because a two-hour lead time isn’t enough sometimes. So if we’re traveling in the future and I get cranky because leaving the house takes forever, trust me when I say that it is better to wait longer at the airport than miss a flight. Promptness isn’t my best suit but I try. And promptness should not just apply to flights – you should always be respectful of other people’s time. Remember that the world does not and will not adjust its pace for you because you’re running late.

On preparedness. Last week, I lost my company ID. Since I am traveling on official business this week, I asked our Admin Officer to issue a certificate of employment in case the immigration officer asks for a company ID. This rarely happens but I thought to myself: “just in case.” And what do you know? After enduring more than 30 minutes queuing at immigration, I found myself face-to-face with an officer asking for my company ID. What I’m saying is if there is a probability -- even if it is very small -- that something can happen, then it can happen. And if you can do something about it, DO IT. Anticipate and then act. It is always better to be prepared.

As for me, today I have learned not to prepare my luggage haphazardly. Otherwise you forget something essential like your shorts. That was something I did not anticipate. Sorry for the TMI, kids. (TMI may not be as used as it is today by the time you're reading this so to spare you the Google search, it stands for "too much information.")

On having good manners. I've already told you about the long queue at the check-in counter. What I didn't tell you was that I was able to check in ahead of almost maybe 30+ people on queue. Here's how it happened. I tried to do mobile web check-in but could not do it because the system was asking for a five-digit reference number which I could not find. I ended up asking the airline staff at the web check-in counter where to find this. Unfortunately, she didn't know and said that mobile web-check in can sometimes be difficult. I asked if there was a kiosk I could use but she told me there was none and advised me to go back to the queue.

At that time, my mind was already racing. I will definitely not make it to my flight if I do that. I wanted to scream in frustration and complain about their system and how the regular check-in process is too slow. But I didn't. Instead, I politely asked whether she can process my itinerary despite the fact that I haven’t done web check-in. The next thing I know, I had my boarding pass at hand. 

Kids, when things go wrong, sometimes we adults just want to scream and blame something or someone. But trust me, it accomplishes nothing. If you ever get into a similar situation in the future, keep calm and remember your manners. Those small things preschool teaches in values class, they matter. In fact, I think there should be values education for adults. Doing so will help improve the world.

On being lucky. I believe in a little bit of luck. I believe that when you think about positive things, you tend to attract them. I thought I was lucky the airline staff accommodated my request. Or the fact that I am here, safe and sound in this nice hotel room in a new city. I actually wrote this in three locations hence the title.

Anyway, it is past 11PM and I still have work tomorrow. Goodnight kids! When you're older and happen to be reading this, you might think "Dad did that weird parenting again" when all he wanted to do was share his airport stories. I wanted to tell you in person but I might forget. Plus a five- and (almost) two-year old will not really be interested to hear these. I do  hope someday you will listen to my silly stories. I probably sound like Ted Mosby right now.

But I'm doing this because the days are changing too quickly and I'm not with you most of the time. Sometimes, it is just too hard to leave the house because I miss you a lot. And as much as you can both be some pain in the butt, life is always more fun with you and your Mom. :-)

With lots of love from Melaka,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment